My quilting WIPs and UFOs in June and July 2018




Almost two month have passed since the last progress update on my projects, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of them.

During May, I had to bring my Pfaff sewing machine in to be serviced. I did that on the 25th, and it the technician until the 17th of July to find parts and get it fixed. Not only was the bobbin winder broken (that's the reason I brought it in to be fixed), the electronics that regulate the stitch length had gotten broken too. I'm so relieved to get it back. No more stalling because I'd rather be using the even feed feature on that machine, than use the Husqvarna machine that doesn't have it at all.

Back in action!
Thanks to that whole thing, and me feeling depressed about that and other things, not many quilting projects have had any progress. But since I instead actually have had some time to go shopping for supplies, I can get some things done now.

Like before, some projects have been moved from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way. Lets get started :)

These are my WIP:s

1. the 12 Color blocks quilts


  • Yes, twelve of them. And so far, only three have been completed. You can see them here; firstsecond, and third.
  • Progress! I’ve actually basted one of them. And I stay-stitched around the edge too, but then I had to wait for my Pfaff machine to come home again to be able to continue.
  • I’ve actually bought some materials for this project; thread and polyester batting. And out of donation fabrics that I’ve been given, I’ve found some more backing fabrics. So, I need some quilting plans and some spray basting cans for them.

2. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars


  • No real progress on making more blocks, so I still have 21 violet stars done, and 25 orange ones. Out of the 36 that I need of each.
  • But I do have some progress! I’ve bought more white background fabric for the rest of the blocks, as well as for the sashing. I did manage to find the time to cut out all the white background pieces for the blocks. And I cut out some more unique violet and orange star point fabrics, so I can make more 4 violet and 2 orange ones.
  • Thus, I have to -still- finish sewing blocks for the top and back. *sigh* And cut out pieces for the sashings. And figure out a smart way to baste this quilt so that all the violet blocks will match the front orange ones, and vice versa.

4. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 2



  • I've written about this one here. And it is still "stuck" in the same state, because I have no idea about how to make the borders yet. But I've made some plans, and I think it will involve the bonus HST from the blocks, and star shapes.
  • I did, however, buy some natural white fabric I might be able to use to make the borders. We’ll see. And the same batting I have for the color block quilts can also be used for this, if any is left over.
  • So, borders and it also needs backing fabric.

5. Rainbow Scraps quilt

Yay! Lots of progress!
  • inspired by Rachel Houser's (of Stitched in color) "Bottled Rainbows" quilt blocks and Amanda Jean's (of Crazy Mom Quilts)"Ticker tape tiles" .
  • I've made progress on this one! Because, well, when you don’t have your sewing machine, you can actually make some progress with hand sewing instead. I started by first handsewing one whole ”row” on the quilt, and then (when I had figured out how to use the QAYG-method I wanted to try out) I basted and pinned the two other rows.
  • It needs borders, and then a lot of hand-sewing. And probably some hand-quilting as well. We’ll see.

6. the I-spy-blocks quilt


  • This one is finished! And it turned out great - learn more about it here.

7. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3



  • Still at the same stage *sigh*
  • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one.
8. (new) Violet English Teagarden



9. (new) ”Emma”


  • An HST-quilt planned from donated neutral triangle pieces, in an effort to learn more color theory.
10. (new) modern hexie pillow cover


  • Inspired by the hexagon appliqué pillow I saw on Modern handcrafts (which I found via Pinterest when I was searching for information on hexie EPP).
  • This one is finished! Learn about it here.
11. (new) The Kingfisher quilt


  • The quilt of the Kingfisher Stitch-Along event, hosted by Rachel Houser of Stitched in Color and Jodi of Tales of Cloth.
  • #kingfisherstitchalong
  • Consists of both EPP and machine pieced blocks
  • I have cut out all the background diamond blocks, filler triangles and corner triangles, as well as border 1 and border 2. I have chosen fabric for border 3, and all 31 2” EPP-triangles have been made. I have already five hexie flowers sewn, and I need to fussy cut out more pieces. I have chosen fabrics for the rest, I only need them fussy cut and glue-basted to hexie templates. I’m currently also leaning towards taking all the leftover fabrics and making a back art backing out of them.

And these are my UFO:s

1. the One Block Wonder, or OBW quilt


  • I’ve made some progress! I have the first border sewn on, and two more borders in the making.
  • So, it still needs those borders finished, then batting and backing and a plan on how to quilt it.

2. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • Progress! I bought two orange Gutermann Mara sewing threads. Now I can continue sewing.
  • And it still needs 80 more of those 10x10 cm denim squares.

3. Pecking Order nr 1

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The background fabric for the star blocks is cut out, but nothing else has been done to it.

4. Peking Order nr 3

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • I have cut out 75 background pieces in black, still need to cut out solids for the star points

5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

  • I've ironed all of the pieces, but nothing else.
  • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.

6. Wanta Fanta

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamoured with this project anymore.

7. Circles of color quilt

8. Three free motion quilting projects

  • Haven't been touched.
  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies. No progress on them either, because I need more dark grey thread.



And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update in one month :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments