Hand Pieced QAL 2019 - block 8

Here’s my version of Block 8 in the Hand-Pieced QAL.



  • Block info:
    • the Bess-block
    • the dusky pink fabric and the brown fabric with the large flower prints were both thrift store find and I had yardage of it in my stash.
    • the light brown with golden details is all the larger pieces I still had left of that fabric.
    • the solid brown was from the stash at Arbis, and was supposed to substitute for the one mentioned above.
    • the white with golden details came from my FQ stash.
    • block cut with regular rotary cutter + rulers, then sewn with Gutermann Mara 120 (100% polyester) in color 1.

I must say, having the sheet of sandpaper taped (with double-sided tape) on to this red tray really helps with keeping the different small fabric pieces in line. It also makes it more portable.



I also like to think I've become better at making the seams more uniform and get nicely pressed. I usually hit the 6.5 inches the block is supposed to be, even if it is a bit hard sometimes when lots of the little pieces have been cut on the bias and not the straight grain.


It's also nice how much the blocks change when the border is added. It really does help with the overall contrast of the block parts.


And, as they say about training to do anything, I'm getting faster and more sure of myself with the needle. And even if I do prick myself now and then, I'm not overtly cautious anymore about hand-sewing, even if I really was just that in the beginning. But yes, I have bled for this quilt. Not on it though, so there's no spots on any of the blocks :P


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Info about my quilt, written in a previous blog post:

I’ve decided that I’m going to call this quilt ”Discovery”, because I’m on this journey of discovering hand-sewing techniques during 2019...and incidentally also because I happened to be watching season 2 episode 2 of the Star Trek: Discovery series while I was choosing the final fabrics.
( #linneaeaquiltsDiscovery2019 )

*smile*

Otherwise, I'm adding a skinny 1'' border (0.5'' finished) around the blocks (because I think it will look better with a little more contrast and borders between the blocks and the sashings) so with that it adds up to 7,5’’ unfinished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON'T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments