Finished quilt: Aimo's babyquilt

Aimo's quilt, finished.
Fabrics used:
Each color block has 35 different fabric squares + 1 square of the white background fabric. Most are reused fabrics found second hand, but e.g. most of the turquoise fabrics are new.
Batting and backing fabric:
Double layer of thinnest polyester batting found at Eurokangas. Reused IKEA bed duvet cover I've gotten from mom.
Quilting pattern:
Angela Walters' "swirl hook", orange peel and variants thereof. 
Top thread
Gutermann quilting thread, 100% cotton, 200m, color 618. Took slightly more than one spool. 
Bobbin thread
Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white). Used a bit more than 5 filled bobbins. Same thread used for piecing the blocks, on interfacing.

A bit better detail photo of the "name tag" quilted at the bottom.


While I was attending the Arbis course "Jeans makeover" last weekend, I asked if anybody could help me take a photo of the quilt before I sent it off to Tampere to little Aimo's parents. Our teacher Carola obliged.

Why do I seem lately to forget to take a photo of the finished quilt, and then do remember at. The. Very. Last. Minute.

Must be a consequence of me mostly being able to quilt/sew late in the evening or early in the night. Not many pretty photos to be taken in daylight then.

Yes, the quilting seems rather dense, and even washed it feels a bit stiff. It will, however, become soft if used a lot. That's the thing about using a double layer

The pattern of the free motion quilting is a variant of a swirl, called "swirl hook". At least, that what Angela Walters calls it in her video tutorial and books. I watched that video, and also how Natalia Bonner quilts regular swirls in one of her videos, and then I tried.

Mine don't look consistent, both from the fact that I quilted small ones between the color blocks and larger ones outside of them on the border, and then because I had to start and stop a lot because my kids kept interrupting. It's hard to get back into the motion you had going on at the machine, when you have to go change and diaper or play tea party or go Octonaut exploring with the kids for a while.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments