What I'm working on: Aimo's babyquilt

This one is going to be rather picture heavy post.

But I don't think you will mind :)

I outline quilted his name and birth info. The new marking pen really helped.
I did this while at the Thursday quilting course at Arbis, and it was the only project I brought with me.
Forces you to stay focused, even when the quilting is boring...

Here, I'm nearly done sewing in all the loose ends.
Have to do that because I had to start and stop so often because of the letters.

At home, I quilted it on and off that Friday through Sunday.
Small swirl hooks between the color blocks, larger ones on the border.
And an orange peel variant in the crossings.

Basically, like this.

A small border outline around the color blocks themselves.

Some of the swirl are more swirly, and some are without a hook. 
Basic orange peel pattern quilted on the color blocks themselves.



This is the backing fabric. It's an old IKEA duvet cover, and it's off-white and not white.
The quilting still doesn't stand out that much on it, thanks to the bobbin having had Gutermann Mara white in it.


I managed to use up 5 bobbins filled with the Gutermann Mara thread while quilting the whole quilt.
Next time, I know that I can fill six right away and have them on standby.
It really helped that I was able to free motion quilt continuously, going from the larger ones to the smaller ones and back again.

More details of me quilting first one way, then the other.
Then down, and back again.
This was the last little area left to quilt, but I had to stop because I was mentally exhausted.
I left that for after dinner.



Tadaa!
All of it, quilted!
On Sunday, it was all binding, binding, binding.
I must say, I HAVE to get some more of these Wonder clips (they're a different brand, and not the originals, but they're really good).



Normally, I just sew the binding strip together straight, but this time, I did it the PROPER way.
So you aren't supposed to be able to tell where it begins and ends...

These are SO much better than pinning.
No pin holes in the fabric, and no needles to prick yourself on.

I did learn something.
Place the overhanging clip side on the top, to prevent the binding from shifting.

Awh....
The feeling you get when there are just a few stitches left to sew. 
Tadaa! Finished! Now all that remains is to run it through the washing machine.




And that was how Aimo's quilt was quilted.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments