Secret sewing for my kids

Because we've had both the stomach flu and normal flu in the family here the last week, I've been sewing to keep up my sanity.
It isn't easy, when you can't leave the house because you don't want one child's flu getting any worse, and you're stuck indoors for a whole week. There' only so much that doing laundry, cleaning and cooking can do to make you feel better.

Letting the kids watch movies is one way to make them sit still and try to relax and not think about how bad it feels when mommy has to wipe any their snot every 5ish minute.

So, the kids have asked to see "Pippi pirater!" (1) and "Pippi Ville Villekulla brinner!" (2) and "Bilar!" (3) a lot. And I mean A LOT.

(3) Cars (the Pixar movie)

Like, we've seen Cars once now nearly every day. Talk about indoctrination, and mommy tiredness! But, in the middle of it all, I remembered I had bought a piece of fabric with characters from the movie, sometime last year at the flea market Palosaaren kirppis. The fabric was actually a curtain for a child's room that someone had sewn.

But, I used it to create this improvisational kids quilt top instead:


I know, it doesn't have all the characters, and it isn't all that uniform with the blocks. But, the kids don't care ;)

As evident by having Little boy do a bit of photo bombing here.



I thought it was especially cute that Little boy wanted to have me tell him the names  (in English) of all the cars that were featured on the quilt. Of course, this was as I was trying to quickly take a photo of it.


Yes, that's the car known as "Doc". Oddly enough, the kids call the car "Lightning McQueen" just "röda bilen" (red car). I think it's adorable, calling the lead character something generic, while every other character is called by their name.

The pink fabric I've used in this quilt was part of a bed sheet, and it was so old that I don't think it will stand up to any hard use. I might have to place another fabric under it when I make the quilt sandwich. And I'm thinking of quilting the names of the cars featured by them on their red blocks. But we'll see, maybe I'll change my mind before that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments