My quilting WIPs and UFOs in November 2018



One month has passed since the last progress update on my projects, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of them.

During November, we started out the month with daycare flu twice and ended the month with getting the flu vaccination.

Still, the days when we were well, I tried getting as much sewing done on my projects as I possibly could. I also felt well (and motivated enough) to start cleaning up in my small closet studio. I saw this video Lorena made about organizing her fabric by wrapping it around normal card board, that she cut out from ordinary boxes. So, I did that too.



Tonight, I’m joining @charmaboutyou for the #saturdaynightcraftalong. Tonight, I’m hoping you other crafters have had more fun than me this evening. Because I’ve been cleaning in my little closet studio. 3 h worth of cleaning. Why? Well, I saw this video on YouTube about a woman who just folded her fabric around cut up card board from old Amazon boxes, and since I happen to have baby diaper boxes I’ve cut up 3 of them and spent some time folding my fabrics. It’s weird how small a space it actually occupies afterwards: the print fabrics were kept in three different places and the solids had a hard time fitting on that small shelf. It looks so much better in the studio now, and it’s so weird how much such a little thing as fabric organization in a new way actually did. #fabricstash #fabricstorage #sewingstudiomakeover
Ett inlägg delat av Linnea Grönstrand-Mölsä (@linneagronstrandmolsa)

It felt great, seeing how much LESS space they took up after I did that.

Now, the only thing I wish I had more of is card board...

But, back on the quilting project front, some projects have been moved from WIP to finished, from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way. The fact that I moved two projects from WIP:s to finished for this monthly summary sure feels great!

I finished Rainbow Scraps.
And I made and finished my first ever small hoop quilt, called the Last Kingfisher flower.

Lets get started :)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. Rainbow (Scraps) quilt

2. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars

  • I’ve made some progress! I still need to make 6 violet stars, and I hope I can find fabric for those. Otherwise, I've started to make the sashings, and I even tried out the quilt-as-you-go method I want to use for finishing this one. What makes it a bit difficult is the fact that not all blocks are the same size, so I will have to mix and match.
  • I got - as a swap present - six different violet fabric pieces, so now I finally have enough to make the rest of the violet star blocks! I’m so thankful for Carola R and Kristiina T who donated the fabric. Thank you!

3. Violet English Tea-garden, which is now

  • Violet Evergarden (the former quilt back). A giant hexie pattern, inspired by Jacquie Gering’s tutorial on how to machine piece hexie blocks together. The colors on those hexagons were complementary colors to the front piece (now English Teatime), to help me learn more about color theory.
  • Progress has been made! I've actually started quilting this one. I actually got the  backing fabric for this via donation, courtesy of the fabric Katariina T donated for the violet star blocks mentioned above. It’s a brocade type fabric, where some parts are really sun-bleached, but I was able to use half of that fabric for the backing. After a wash, the stains on it had gone away, leaving only the sun bleached areas to deal with. And when I started basting, I could cut away those. Also, this quilt is the first one I've ever used cotton batting in!


  • English Teatime (the former quilt top)
  • Inspired by an EPP pattern I saw in the book All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland. Consists now of five similar larger EPP motifs and some smaller similar ones, in this fabric with different teapots on a white and light green background.
  • I've made some progress! I ripped out the seams between some of the blocks in the larger motif, effectively breaking it into 4 blocks and some odd pieces. It meant that, together with the odd block and some odd pieces I still had left from that fabric (I started out with only a FQ) I could design a small quilt out of it.

7. the 12 Color blocks quilts

  • Three have been basted! I just need some alone time to get them quilted. I used up one can of spray basting glue while basting the first two, and then I had to resort to pins for the third. Mostly because that one has batting that's four layers of 40 g polyester batting, and the other two managed to use up the rest of the 'good' 100 g polyester batting I had on hand. I already have recipients for these.
  • It means I have only 4 left to baste, quilt and label. But I have already bought more spray glue, so I just need some more batting and I will be good to go.
8. (new) a Christmas EPP hexagon quilt


  • This one was an EPP project that got started kind of by accident (as in, I got bored and wanted to use up the rest of the Christmas fabric I had lying around since I finished the Christmas quilt "God Jul").
  • I've sewn one block (to try out the design) and have 9 others prepared. Or, actually, I have more pieces than that already glue-basted, but not assembled into ready-to-sew-blocks.
  • I plotted this one out on graph paper (I found a page online I could print triangle/hexagon graph paper from!) and came to the conclusion that I need red fabric for 190 connecting triangle pieces (!!). Which means I have to head out and check if Eurokangas happens to have any of the same fabric available (probably not) or order it online (much more probable). If not, I will have to make scrappy red connecting pieces.
9. (new) my first hoop quilt - the Last Kingfisher flower

  • I've finished this one! It was a sort of spur of the moment thing. You can read about it here.

10. Three free motion quilting projects (moved from UFO)

  • Some progress have been made: I’ve finally gotten some grey thread!
  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies.

And these are now my UFO:s

1. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

  • Hasn't been touched.
2. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 1

  • Nothing has been done to this one.

3. Pecking Order nr 2

  • Hasn't been touched.

    4. Peking Order nr 3

    • Hasn't been touched.

    5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

    • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
    • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

    6. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

    • Still at the same stage *sigh*
    • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.

    7. Wanta Fanta

    • Hasn't been touched.
    • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamored with this project anymore.

    8. Circles of color quilt

    And these are my planned quilts for 2019

    I thought it best to put these here, just so I can follow how my planning changes. These will surely change as time goes by, for for now the list is as follows. There has been one more addition since the last update.

    • (a Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant) by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
    • I've continued with cutting out templates from card stock. The pattern calls for about 600 honeycomb templates, and I have about 300 now.
      2. the quilt of the Hand Pieced QAL (quilt along) with Kristin Esser of Simple Handmade Everyday. and Patty Dudek of Elm Street Quilts.




      3 A spring/summer version of the Kingfisher quilt.
      • all of the background diamonds and border fabrics have been cut out.
      4. Tula Pink’s City Sampler”-quilt made in denim. With sashiko.

      5. a Japanese themed quilt. With sashiko, EPP and applique. In parts with designs taken from Susan Briscoe’s books.
      • all of the background diamonds have been cut, and most of the borders already thought out. The applique and EPP pieces and sashiko motifs still need to be chosen out of the books.
        5. some kind of scrap quilt made from the orange ticker tape tile I’ve already sewn.
        • I found a little more of the background fabric I've used for this, they were in my folder of neutral scraps.

        6. (new) the Farmer's Wife 1920 quilt
        • for the QAL hosted by Gnomeangel. This event started on August 24th 2018 and will end on October 25th 2019. Meaning, I have more than enough time to start this one in January. I want to do it with EPP.


          And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

          Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun!

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

          All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

          The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

          I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
          I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

          What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

          If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
          My creations
          Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

          For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

          Comments