My quilting WIPs and UFOs in October 2018



One month has passed since the last progress update on my projects, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of them.

During October, we had daycare flu after daycare flu in the family. It felt like I spent the majority of the month walking around in my PJs and wiping snot running like crazy from the children's small  noses. The whole week of Autumn Break (höstlov in Swedish) was spent with the whole family having the flu. The kids were starting to get cabin fever from it all.

Still, the days when we were well, I got a lot of projects done.

I finished my Kingfisher quilt.
I finished two of the Color Block quilts with really simple quilting and sent them to their recipients.
I finished my One Block Wonder quilt and gifted it to one of my very dear friends.
I finished the Christmas quilt.

So, on the quilting front, some projects have been moved from WIP to finished, from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way. The fact that I moved quite a lot of projects from WIP:s to finished for this monthly summary sure feels great!
Lets get started :)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. the One Block Wonder, or OBW quilt

  • I’ve finished this one! I even gave it a new, more proper name. It's now "Mary-Anne Under the Sun". You can read about it here.
2. Rainbow (Scraps) quilt



3. The Kingfisher quilt

4. the Christmas quilt
  • I've finished this one! You can read about it here.

5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars

  • I’ve made some progress! I still need to make 6 violet stars, and I hope I can find fabric for those. Otherwise, I've started to make the sashings, and I even tried out the quilt-as-you-go method I want to use for finishing this one. What makes it a bit difficult is the fact that not all blocks are the same size, so I will have to mix and match.

6. Violet English Tea-garden (<= moved from UFO:s)




  • Inspired by an EPP pattern I saw in the book All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland.
  • Consists of an EPP center motif and a smaller similar one, that WERE stitched to a white background (but not anymore). Backing was a giant hexie pattern, inspired by Jacquie Gering’s tutorial on how to machine piece hexie blocks together. The colors on those hexagons will be complementary colors to the front piece, to help me learn more about color theory.
  • I've made some (weird) progress! I finished the backing, and then decided it needs to become a quilt of it's own. I also picked out the motifs from the white background I had appliquéd them to, and then had time to make the small one into a proper block. Now I'm debating if I'll do the same to the larger motif, or just rip out some seams in it and make smaller blocks from it. Like I wrote; weird progress.

7. the 12 Color blocks quilts(<= moved from UFO:s)


  • Two have been finished! They've already been sent on their merry way. You can read about them here and here.
  • It means I have only 7 left to baste, quit and label. One of those already has a potential recipient (yay, more friends becoming parents!).

And these are now my UFO:s

1. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

  • Hasn't been touched.
2. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 1

  • Nothing has been done to this one.

3. Pecking Order nr 2

  • Hasn't been touched.

4. Peking Order nr 3

  • Hasn't been touched.

5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

  • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
  • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

6. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

  • Still at the same stage *sigh*
  • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.

7. Wanta Fanta

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamored with this project anymore.

8. Circles of color quilt

9. Three free motion quilting projects

  • Haven't been touched.
  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies. No progress on them either, because I need more dark grey thread.

And these are my planned quilts for 2019

I thought it best to put these here, just so I can follow how my planning changes. These will surely change as time goes by, for for now the list is as follows.
  1. The ”Lucy’s Terrace”-quilt (a Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant) by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
  2. the quilt of the Hand Pieced QAL (quilt along) with Kristin Esser of Simple Handmade Everyday. and Patty Dudek of Elm Street Quilts.
  3. A spring/summer version of the Kingfisher quilt.
  4. Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler”-quilt made in denim. With sashiko.
  5. a Japanese themed quilt. With sashiko, EPP and appliqé.
  6. some kind of scrap quilt made from the orange ticker tape tile I’ve already sewn.

And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments