My quilting WIPs and UFOs in December 2018


One month has passed since the last update on my projects, so I thought I'd write down a little on how far I've gotten on all of them. This is the last update for all my projects this year, and I’m thinking of continuing next year too with this regular posting  about how work on my WIP:s and UFO:s are continuing. It keeps me on track, and it’s nice to see how much I get done during a month.
During December, the month started with me having the muscles in my right thumb really aching and sore. I blame Rainbow Scraps for that. It was already the second time I had gotten that particular problem, and I knew the only thing I could do to have it get better was NOT to use my hand.

So, it meant no hand-sewing. No crafting. Basically, trying to use the hand as little as possible (which was nearly impossible) and having to eat ibuprofen and the like.

Yuck, how boring that whole episode was.

Then, my son got an eye infection. Then my daughter got it, and of course me too. And after it was over, then we all had the flu. Like, AGAIN. And to top it off, then my daughter got her eye infection BACK AGAIN... And on the 31st, I got a fever. (Like, really got a fever, and missed the clock strike midnight because I was feeling really crappy.)

Good people, this daycare flu business is really serious. I think the kids got to spend maybe 8 nonconcequtive days at daycare during the whole of December...

And then, because during us being home and just being ill, I just couldn't stand to look at the mess that was on the quilting table. So I started putting things away to be able to clean up for Christmas.

Which meant that I moved one of the sewing machines to the floor so I could wipe down the table properly. And while I was doing that, my son decided to use the machine as a stepping stool or something, because he caused it to fall over. BAM! And that caused the needle casing house to shift so badly, that I had to bring it in for service :(

Good thing that it didn't fall on my soon-to-be 3 yo son's feet or something!

So, it has NOT been a good month for crafting, to say the least.

But, a few days before the 24th, my thumb got a little better, so I could do a little sewing. And I got my sewing machine back from service on the 20th, and it only cost 20 euros, both of which were a relief. So I've been able to do at least something, if not a lot. I have been prepping fabric a lot, and learning things via Pinterest. The majority of the projects O finished got done on the 30th and 31st!

So, on the quilting project front, some of my projects have been moved from WIP to finished, from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way. The fact that I moved two projects from WIP:s to finished for this monthly summary sure feels great!

I finished Color Block quilt 6 and 7!

Lets get started :)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars


  • I’ve made some progress! All the blocks are finished,  and I'm well underway with working on making the sashings. I just need more white fabric, because I want to make them all before I start putting the top together. Otherwise the quilt-as-you-go method won’t work.

3. Violet English Tea-garden, which has now become:


         Violet Evergarden (the former quilt back).
  • A giant hexie pattern, inspired by Jacquie Gering’s tutorial on how to machine piece hexie blocks together. The colors on those hexagons were complementary colors to the front piece (now English Teatime), and I made them to help me practically learn more about color theory.
  • Progress has been made! I've actually started quilting this one. I actually got the  backing fabric for this via donation, courtesy of the fabric Katariina T donated for the violet star blocks mentioned above. It’s a brocade type fabric, where some parts are really sun-bleached, but I was able to use half of that fabric for the backing. After a wash, the stains on it had gone away, leaving only the sun bleached areas to deal with. And when I started basting, I could cut away those. Also, this quilt is the first one I've ever used cotton batting in!


          English Teatime (the former quilt top)
  • Inspired by an EPP pattern I saw in the book All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland. Consists now of five similar larger EPP motifs and some smaller similar ones, in this fabric with different teapots on a white and light green background.
  • I've made some progress! I ripped out the seams between some of the blocks in the larger motif, effectively breaking it into 4 blocks and some odd pieces. It meant that, together with the odd block and some odd pieces I still had left from that fabric (I started out with only a FQ) I could design a small quilt out of it.

7. the 12 Color blocks quilts


  • Two have been finished and one is still basted but has been outline quilted! I just need some alone time to get them quilted. I need more batting to be able to finish up the rest of those that still need to be basted. I’ve already bought more spray glue, and their backings have already been prepared during the summer.
8. (new) a Christmas EPP hexagon quilt

  • This one was an EPP project that got started kind of by accident (as in, I got bored and wanted to use up the rest of the Christmas fabric I had lying around since I finished the Christmas quilt "God Jul").
  • Progress so far: I've sewn perhaps five blocks (to try out the design) and have more than 25 others prepared. I also have lots of fabric pieces cut out and ready to be used. I've also packed those and the other fabrics I want to use for it in a big container, together with a small box filled with the card stock templates I'm using for the blocks. I've been cutting out more of them as I've accumulated empty baby gruel and other boxes in the kitchen.
  • I plotted this one out on graph paper (I found a page online I could print triangle/hexagon graph paper from!) and came to the conclusion that I need red fabric for 190 connecting triangle pieces (!!). The Eurokangas-fabric store doesn't have the fabric anymore,  so I'm gonna have to  order it online. Which will mean that I will have to pay taxes for it on top of it costing however much. If  I'm choosing not to go that route, I will have to make scrappy red connecting pieces instead.
    9. Three free motion quilting projects (moved from UFO)

    • Some progress have been made: I’ve finally gotten some grey thread! But I’ve had to wait for my hand to get better, to be able to start on this one.
    • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies.

    And these are now my UFO:s

    1. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

    • Hasn't been touched.
    2. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 1

    • Hasn't been touched.

    3. Pecking Order nr 2

    • Hasn't been touched.

      4. Peking Order nr 3

      • Hasn't been touched.

      5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

      • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
      • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

      6. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

      • Still at the same stage *sigh*
      • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.

      7. Wanta Fanta

      • Hasn't been touched.
      • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamored with this project anymore.

      8. Circles of color quilt

      And these are my planned quilts for 2019

      I thought it best to put these here, just so I can follow how my planning changes. These will surely change as time goes by, for for now the list is as follows.

      1. The ”Lucy’s Terrace”-quilt 

      • Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
      • Progress! I've continued with cutting out templates from card stock. The pattern calls for about 600 honeycomb templates, and I have about 400 now (a 100 more since the last update). I’ve also chosen one ”feature fabric” for the blocks (a fabric I hope will be enough for all the centers, so the blocks will look somewhat cohesive).
        2. the quilt of the Hand Pieced QAL (quilt along)



        3 A spring/summer version of the Kingfisher quilt.

        • All of the background diamonds and border fabrics have been cut out. I will need to go through my scraps and find bright and colorful fabrics to make the matching 46 hexie flowers.
        4. Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler”-quilt 
        • I want to make it in denim. With sashiko details, and maybe also some boro too.
        • Gnome Angel will be hosting another "100 blocks 100 days"-event in 2019, so I think I want to take part in that with this.

        5. a Japanese themed quilt.

        • With sashiko, EPP and applique. In parts with designs taken from Susan Briscoe’s books.
        • all of the background diamonds have been cut, and most of the borders already thought out. The applique and EPP pieces and sashiko motifs still need to be chosen out of the books.
        • Progress! I have started (actually already back in October) to pick out and set aside fabric scraps with taupe, blues and fabrics which (to me) seem to fit a sort of Japanese wabi sabi theme. I most pointedly am NOT choosing any colors or fabrics that screams kawaii, but more somber ones that could perhaps be mistaken for everyday kimono or indigo dyed fabrics.

          5. some kind of scrap quilt 

          • Made from the orange ticker tape tile, and maybe other ticker tape tiles or orphan blocks I’ve already sewn.
          • I found a little more of the same background fabric I've used for the orange ticker tape block, they were in my folder of neutral scraps. 

          6. the Farmer's Wife 1920 quilt

          • for the QAL hosted by Gnomeangel. This event started on August 24th 2018 and will end on October 25th 2019. Meaning, I have more than enough time to start this one in January. I want to do it with EPP.
          • Progress! I did some planning on this. I still don’t have the book, but since the block sizes (6 x 6 inches finished) were known I sat down and did some quilt math. I’ve come to the conclusion that if I want to make the quilt it can’t be in the original size - I need to make the blocks 1/2 the original size. And since I want to do it with EPP, I tried to plot out and cut out the seven first block pieces from card stock. I’m still undecided in regards to color palette and fabric choices, though. I picked out two variants, one in black-white-teal blue and one in dove grey-warm yellow. But, I need to do some more planning.

          7. My version of the Jolly Bar Meringue-quilt

          • Because, while reading the (newest) blog post that Kristin Esser (Simple Handmade Everyday) wrote about her making her version of this Fat Quarter Shop pattern, I just got so inspired that I went through my stash and pulled out old thrifted pillow cases, odd whites, old thrifted and gifted sheets, and odd neutral scraps from my neutral scrap folder. While I was doing that, I found a panel with bunnies and some sheets that had embroidered motifs on them. Not sure if those will be added somehow, but I did cut up all the neutrals into 10 x 15 cm pieces (which isn't the 5 x 10 inches that the pattern has, but I didn't have scraps that large, so I just made them as large as I could).
          • Somehow, these neutrals and warm browns remind me of "taupe", a color used frequently in traditional Japanese quilts together with indigo and whites.

          8. A quilt inspired by the "B is for Blue" hexagon quilt

          • Again, while reading the (then newest) blog post that Rita Hodge (of Red Pepper quilts) had written about her finishing the quilt top for this soon-to-be-quilted quilt, something just clicked in my mind. I had made all of these white glue basted hexagons back in May - June, and not really found anything to do with them. So why not use them up with this pattern? 
          • read about her "B is for Blue - a hexagon quilt" here: part 1 and part 2


            And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

            Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun and a great start on the new year 2019!

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

            All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

            The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

            I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
            I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

            What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

            If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
            My creations
            Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

            For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

            Comments