Studio update 3/2018


Look! More shelves for fabrics!
(I know, I know, the rest is a mess, but that’s because I desperately moved stuff from the living room table to the studio before I thought I should take a photo of the new shelves...)

After seeing Lorena using ordinary card board to organizing her fabric stash, I wanted to try it out on my stash too.

I’m glad I did, even if it meant a LOT of re-folding my fabrics and cleaning up in the studio. I even had to figure out a way to fit those shelves in the studio. Which meant moving around a lot of stuff and then vacuuming away all the mini dust bunnies and fabric threads that suddenly saw daylight.

One thing I started to see immediately, was that I have a LOT of floral fabrics. Like, at least 20 fabrics. Now, the thing to keep in mind is that I usually buy fabric in second hand stores and flea markets, so I usually just take what I find. But it was still interesting to notice that.
(They’re located on the second shelf, just look above the white candy box in the middle of the photo.)

I also noticed that I could divide my stash into six sections, with seven if you also include the large found fabrics I have saved to use as potential backing fabrics:
  1. Scrap folders, in color order
  2. Fat quarter sizes, in color order
  3. Floral fabric
  4. Childrens fabrics
  5. Novelty fabrics, mostly Christmas themed
  6. Solid color fabric
  7. Backing fabric
Cleaning in your studio space isn’t that much fun if you can’t sit down in it to work afterwards. Which I couldn’t do, because when I cleaned up the desk and made the shelves I had to figure out where to stash all the things I had had on my desk. And then it got worse as I started moving in stuff from the living room too.

*sigh*

Cleaning is like a vischous circle, isn’t it?

(Yes, I totally spoofed the movie Notting Hill there, although they were talking about laundry being the same thing.)

Moving stuff around just creates more chaos, so you just have to cope as best you can. Mostly because I will refuse the notion that my ”quilting closet studio” is too small to keep storing all our family’s crafting supplies in too. It all needs to fit, so I will just have to cope.

I would really like to be able to move all the EPP quilting things and projects into the studio, and only have the cutting station and one sewing machine set up for actually just quilting the quilts out on the large table in the living room. And when that happens, I want it to STAY that way.

*sigh*

A woman can hope...

I did manage to move all the small containers I have already cut out EPP pieces in to the studio. Those are the ones in light blue and one of the dark blue ones.

The black boxes underneath them have already cut out 5 x 5 cm pieces sorted by colors. Those are left over from when I made the color block quilt tops. I have ideas for them, I just need more white background fabrics.

Anyway, after I finished cleaning today, I did finish placing the last of our Christmas holiday decor around the house.

The quilting table in the living room looks really cosy now, even in the dark.


Have a great beginning of your winter holidays, if you happen to live on the northern hemisphere :)
Here in the north, for my family, it means placing out lots of winter lights and waiting for more snow.

Comments