Finished quilt: Amadeus' color block quilt

Quilt details

Name, Recipient, Size, Start/Finished date, Pattern and Fabrics used:

  • Amadeus’ color blocks quilt (8th color block quilt out of 12)
  • For Amadeus Blomberg
  • 106 x 106 cm (length x height).
  • timeline
    • color blocks started in May of 2017
    • quilt tops done by the end of November 2017
    • this quilt was basted 21.11.2018, quilted between 31.12.2018-8.1.2019 (I got a cold and was too ill to get it all quilted in one sitting) and bound on 9.1.2019.
    • label added/embroidered 13.2 (he was born at 3 am and I got notice about it at 9 am, so I got it done by 2 o’clock)
    • shipped same day he was born, 13.2.2019
  • Pattern was my own color block quilt pattern. 
  • About the fabrics used for the quilt top
    • The same as for the rest of the color block quilts, which means that each color block has 36 different fabrics in 5x5 cm pieces. 36 x 9 colors (+ 36 black & white that made blocks I ended up not using) means a total of 324 (+36) different fabric pieces.
    • White Perla 100% cotton fabric for the sashings, borders and binding.
    • You can read more about construction here.

Batting, backing and binding fabric:

Quilting pattern:

  • The "squares within squares" and "criss-crossing lines" patterns that Angela Walters uses in her quilt Negative Space (see this YouTube video).
  • Pattern is intersperced with areas that show off different designs, like little squares filled with loop-de-loops, feather-paisleys, swirl-hooks and one with two butterflies.

Top thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white).
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 1 (natural white).

Bobbin thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white)
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 1 (natural white).
  • All in all, it took nearly 5 full bobbins to free motion quilt the quilt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These color blocks quilt are part of a series of 12 as-good-as-to-be-considered-identical quilt tops that I'm quilting different motifs on. This to see how the appearance of the same design can change due to the free motion quilting done on it.

This is the quilt top:


I finished two out of the three basted color block quilts I had waiting on my quilting table on the 31st of December 2018. This was the third, and because I got a cold tight after New Year it took me until the 9th of January to get this one finished.

That took me about 5 spools of thread to finished it. The quilting has some of the same elements of color block quilt 6 (for which I'm waiting for the small recipient to get born to finish) and 7 (Natalie's quilt).  This one was also spray basted.

However, I did get two small tucks on the back (I wrote about those a little further down in the text). But I am not going to pick them out. I’m just pleased that the motif, and "babies don't care" :)

It's basically Angela Walter's "square in a square"-motif all around the outer border, intersperced with small rectangles quilted with different motifs. There's more detail photos of that further won in the text.

In between the color blocks in the quilt center, the motif is from the same Midnight Quilt Show episode (Negative Space quilt) and it makes those crisscrosses. I did the same in both the 6th and 7th quilt.

You can see the different areas of quilting well on the quilt back:


Now, the rest of the quilting.

Here's the detail photos of it. First up, the variation I did with this quilt's "criss-cross"-pattern. I put cornerstones around the center block.


And then, these are the different motifs I did in the rectangles around the outer border:

A kite ("let's go fly a kite"-motif by Lori Kennedy)


 Continuous stars ("icicle lights"-motif by Leah Day)


Continuous butterflies (not sure where I learned this one)


Paisley feather (Angela Walters)


More paisley motifs (again, Angela Walters)


Some slightly weird "swirl hooks" (also Angela Walters)


Bubble loop-de-loops (again, not really sure from where, but it's a pretty common motif)


And plain old "bubbles" or "pebbles" (also a really common motif)


And another variant of loop-de-loops; continuous bubble trail.


 A small feather-motif (also really common motif)


And another feather-motif.


Now, I really do know that you shouldn't ever show your mistakes, but since I'm documenting everything about the quilts, the tucks (or actually more like one puff and one tuck) I mentioned are the following:



Also, this quilt's backing was pieced together from two larger leftover pieces I still had of this fabric. Here, I'll show you the seam, it's hardly noticeable:


That fabric was so forgiving to work with; a real quilter's blessing!

And that, my quilty friends, is the story of Amadeus' color block quilt :)


Have a really great Valentine's day (All hearts day or Alla hjärtans dag in Swedish, and Ystävänpäivä or Friendship day in Finnish) everybody, hoping you all have great friends there for you :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments