Finished quilt: Natalie's color block quilt

Quilt details

Name, Recipient, Size, Start/Finished date, Pattern and Fabrics used:

  • Natalie's color blocks quilt (color block quilt 7 out of 12)
  • For Natalie Salovius (S and F Salovius's second child)
  • 106 x 106 cm (length x height).
  • timeline
    • color blocks started in May of 2017
    • quilt tops done by the end of November 2017
    • this quilt was basted 21.11.2018, quilted and bound on 31.12.2018. It was my last finished quilt for the year 2018.
    • label added 9.1.2019.
    • shipped 12.1.2019
  • Pattern was my own color block quilt pattern. 
  • About the fabrics used for the quilt top
    • The same as for the rest of the color block quilts, which means that each color block has 36 different fabrics in 5x5 cm pieces. 36 x 9 colors (+ 36 black & white that made blocks I ended up not using) means a total of 324 (+36) different fabric pieces.
    • White Perla 100% cotton fabric for the sashings, borders and binding.
    • You can read more about construction here.

Batting, backing and binding fabric:

Quilting pattern:

  • The "criss-crossing lines" patterns that Angela Walters uses in her quilt Negative Space (see this YouTube video) as well as free motion quilted feathers around both the center (brown) block and on the outer border.

Top thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white).
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 1 (natural white).

Bobbin thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white).
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 1 (natural white).
  • All in all, it took about 5,5 bobbins to free motion quilt the quilt.

Blogged about on:

  • the blog 
    • 27th Dec 2018 (it's mentioned as finished here)
    • Jan 5th 2019 (you can see this quilt, nr 7 and also nr 6 and 8 on the table under all the other projects)
  • Instagram
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These color blocks quilt are part of a series of 12 as-good-as-to-be-considered-identical quilt tops that I'm quilting different motifs on. This to see how the appearance of the same design can change due to the free motion quilting done on it.


The quilt front.

I finished two out of the three basted color block quilts I had waiting on my quilting table on the 31st of December 2018.

That took me 5.5 spools of thread and ~3 h (with pauses in between). I finally finished it . So, apparently this one turned out to be my last quilty finish for 2018. And, since this one was spray basted and not pin basted (unlike with the nr 6 in the series), and I managed to take it slow with the machine binding, I have zero needle ”battle wounds” this time around on my arms and fingers.

What a relief.

It did, however, get two small tucks on the back (i wrote about those a little further down in the text). But I am not going to pick them out. I’m just pleased that the motif, that I thought up the morning I actually started working on the quilt, turned out so great in the end.

It's basically a paisley feather ”ring” around both the center square and on the outer border. Mixed in between them a motif from the same Midnight Quilt Show episode (Negative Space quilt) crisscrosses just like in the previous nr 6 quilt. I think the more organic flow of the feathers work really well with highlighting the colored squares and the straight quilting lines between them.


The quilt back.


I felt really lucky when I found the scraps I had left of this fabric, because there were still a few whole large letters on them. Like this "N" for "Natalie", that was perfect to use as a label for this quilt.

Now; I know you shouldn't focus on the faults in your quilting (because "babies don't care" - and that by the way is one of the more golden quotes from Pamela Cobb of the Stitch TV show, see it on YouTube  here :P ) but this is my documentation regarding using spray glue and doing glue basting while quilting.



These two areas were the only problems when I was done and peeked to look how the backside turned out. The one in the second photo could have been avoided, I think, but the one closer to the center would have been problematic to see/feel when quilting.

But still, only two small tucks!

I call that  a win :)


Close-up of the center motif.


And a close-up of the outer border's motif.


The thing that's really hard to notice in the photos (because, hey, I'm so not a pro when it comes to taking photos) is how the color of the thread isn't white, or even off white.


But in the photo above (the last one I took of this quilt) you can kind of see it :) 

How the more natural white has this light yellow shine to it. It makes the quilting stand out just a tad bit more, even if you can't see it that well in photos.


I really hope little Natalie (and her parents) will like her quilt. I feel really good about sending one of my definitely better works - and best work of 2018 - away to be used and loved to pieces.

Have a happy quilting day now, everyone :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments