My quilting WIPs and UFOs in February-March 2019


The semi-official theme I've kinda chosen for my focus this year is hand-sewing.

Lots of American bloggers seem hard on having these "words of the year", but I think I'm gonna stick to my "crafting themes of the year" instead ;)

I already have lots of projects in my WIP:s to start with that hand-sewing; R is for Rita, the Second Christmas quilt, the Discovery quilt (of the Hand Pieced QAL), the Sashiko quilt, the Summer Kingfisher quilt. Some of them I've started on, and some are still waiting for the others to get finished so I'll get more room to work on them.

Lots have also happened on the quilting front since January ended, and I haven't been able to sit by the computer and write because of the slipped disc in my spine. Let me tell you, being able to finally sit for more than 15 min - pain-free! - at any time is a gift. Now, it's the middle of March and I've gotten far on both the Hand Pieced QAL and the other projects.

One thing I want to share though; I got mentioned on one of the podcast I listen to! Kristin Esser over on Simple. Handmade. Everyday. mentioned on episode 22 mentioned me and it perked me up a lot that day (because I was still popping painkillers and lying in bed because of my back).



But about my projects, let's try to summarize...

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars (aka the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2)

  • No progress these two months!
  • I'm waiting to be able to afford more white fabric for it, then I can continue with the QAYG on it. 

2. Violet Evergarden
  • Progress! The free motion quilting on it is finished. I’ve gotten a bit behind with the hand-quilting on it, because I keep thinking it needs to be embroidered instead. The Hand Pieced QAL and my back injury has also forced me to put  this project aside for awhile.
  • My daughter has decided it's her quilt, so who am I to argue with her? *smiles*
  • Schedule: it badly needs a wash, a label and then photos taken of it. And I need to blog about it.

4. the 12 Color blocks quilts


  • Progress! After I had gotten two of these quilted on the 31st December 2018 (little Natalie's and then Amadeus's color block quilts got finished on 31.12.2018) I had four of the quilts tops still left to quilt. Only thing needed really was batting for them all.
  • However, I couldn't write about them on the blog before the babies had gotten their names, so they had to wait. Natalie got her quilt labeled and shipped after the 12th of January, and then two days after my birthday, on the 13.2.2019, little Amadeus was born to one of out family's friends. He got his quilt embroidered and shipped on that same day. Then, on the 15th of February, I slipped that disc in my spine and spent a good portion of Friday-Saturday in the ER and was wondering if I would be able to walk properly again. But thanks to the miracle of modern medicine and the excellent nurses and doctors, I managed to be able to SIT and free motion quilt the quilt in the photo above on the 28th of February - less than 2 weeks since the injury! I was aching afterwards - of course, since I was off the painkillers - but I managed to get it quilted and bound!
  • The quilt above already has a recipient, so nr 9 out of 12 color block quilts is done. I have now only 3 left. And I need to blog about this one as soon as the recipient will get his name.
  • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can continue with the rest; I already have 2 new babies in mind as recipients.
5. the Second Christmas quilt (an EPP hexagon quilt)
  • This one was an EPP project that got started kind of by accident (as in, I got bored and wanted to use up the rest of the Christmas fabric I had lying around since I finished the Christmas quilt "God Jul").
  • Progress so far: I've finally gotten more red fabrics, so I have all the material I need to make the connecting triangles and red-white polka dot centers for the hexagon blocks it. One outer row is already sewn together (the left side’s). Only thing that I need is time to sit and sew the rest of the blocks together.
  • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can continue on this one.
    6. The ”Lucy’s Terrace”-quilt


    • Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
    • Progress! I've gotten a little more than 600 honeycomb templates cut out, so I think I will be good to go. I’ve also chosen one ”feature fabric” for the blocks (a fabric I hope will be enough for all the centers, so the blocks will look somewhat cohesive).
    • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.
      7. the quilt of the Hand Pieced QAL (quilt along)





      • Arranged by Kristin Esser of Simple Handmade Everyday. and Patty Dudek of Elm Street Quilts, found on this page.
      • Progress! The QAL started in Janury, and now we’re seeing the end of March and the whole event as well. I have made not one, but two (!), sets of all the 9 blocks. I named the two quilts-to-be Discovery amd Defiant. Discovery became a quilt top that resembles the QAL quilt layout above, and Defiant has a very modern layout that I came up with myself.
      • Schedule: these are my two most active projects, and I want them done ASAP so I can start on hand quilting them.

      8. A spring/summer version of the Kingfisher quilt (not yet started)

      • All of the background diamonds and border fabrics have been cut out. I will need to go through my scraps and find bright and colorful fabrics to make the matching 46 hexie flowers.
      • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.
      9. Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler”-quilt (not yet started)

      • I want to make it in denim. With sashiko details, and maybe also some boro too.
      • Gnome Angel will be hosting another "100 blocks 100 days"-event in 2019, but is going to be her own block sets, so I think I can’t take part in that with this. I have to just make it on my own.
      • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.

      10. a Japanese sashiko-themed quilt (not yet started)

      • With sashiko, EPP and applique. In parts with designs taken from Susan Briscoe’s books.
      • all of the background diamonds have been cut, and most of the borders already thought out. The applique and EPP pieces and sashiko motifs still need to be chosen out of the books.
      • Progress!
        • I have also raided the Arbis fabric stash during February-March and found several taupes and blues that also might work for it.
        • I have started (actually already back in October) to pick out and set aside fabric scraps with taupe, blues and fabrics which (to me) seem to fit a sort of Japanese wabi sabi theme. I most pointedly am NOT choosing any colors or fabrics that screams kawaii, but more somber ones that could perhaps be mistaken for everyday kimono/yukatan or indigo dyed fabrics.
      • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.

        11. some kind of scrap quilt (not yet started)

        • Made from the orange ticker tape tile, and maybe other ticker tape tiles or orphan blocks I’ve already sewn.
        • I found a little more of the same background fabric I've used for the orange ticker tape block, they were in my folder of neutral scraps. 
        • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can really start on this one, but I have already prepped two 15x30 cm ticker tape tile blocks.

        12. the Farmer's Wife 1920 quilt (not yet started)

        • for the QAL hosted by Gnomeangel. This event started on August 24th 2018 and will end on October 25th 2019. Meaning, I have more than enough time to start this one in January. I want to do it with EPP.
        • Progress! I have gotten the book loaned via inter-library loan, and I have started cutting out templates from card stock. I just need to finish the Hand Pieced QAL quilt tops first to start working actively on this one.

        7. My version of the Jolly Bar Meringue-quilt (not yet started)

        • No progress yet, but has been prepped for during November 2018! Because, while reading the (then newest) blog post that Kristin Esser (of Simple Handmade Everyday) wrote about her making her version of this Fat Quarter Shop pattern, I just got so inspired that I went through my stash and pulled out old thrifted pillow cases, odd whites, old thrifted and gifted sheets, and odd neutral scraps from my neutral scrap folder. While I was doing that, I found a panel with bunnies and some sheets that had embroidered motifs on them. Not sure if those will be added somehow, but I did cut up all the neutrals into 10 x 15 cm pieces (which isn't the 5 x 10 inches that the pattern has, but I didn't have scraps that large, so I just made them as large as I could).
        • Somehow, these neutrals and warm browns remind me of "taupe", a color used frequently in traditional Japanese quilts together with indigo and whites.
        • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.

        8. R is for Rita (a quilt inspired by the "B is for Blue" hexagon quilt)

        • Again, while reading the (then newest) blog post that Rita Hodge (of Red Pepper quilts) had written about her finishing the quilt top for this soon-to-be-quilted quilt, something just clicked in my mind. I had made all of these white glue basted hexagons back in May - June, and not really found anything to do with them. So I thought, why not use them up with this pattern? 
        • read about her "B is for Blue - a hexagon quilt" here: part 1 and part 2
        • Progress! Two rows have already been sewn together, and I have all the white hexie flower parts basted and "painter taped" so I can start sewing those together into rows too. I have more than enough red/white flowers prepped too, so I just need to start sewing. The quilts for the Hand Pieced QAL just got before this one in my "sewing queue", and I've had to just concentrate on those while my back has been getting slowly better. I did however prep hexie flowers while I was still laying on bed rest! If there's a will (and painkillers), there's a way.

        And these are now my UFO:s

        3. English Teatime (moved from WIP)
        • Hasn't been touched.
        • Schedule: I need to plan out how I want the blocks to be, and then decide upon a layout. I have so much going on, this one will have to wait a bit.

        1. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

        • Hasn't been touched.
        2. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 1

        • Hasn't been touched.

        3. Pecking Order nr 2

        • Hasn't been touched.

          4. Peking Order nr 3

          • Hasn't been touched.

          5. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

          • Is gonna be all the odd 5 x 5 cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
          • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

          6. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

          • Still at the same stage *sigh*
          • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.

          7. Wanta Fanta

          • Hasn't been touched.
          • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamored with this project anymore.

          8. Circles of color quilt

          9. Three free motion quilting projects (moved from WIP)

          • Hasn't been touched.
          • these involve fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies.


            And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

            Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun and a great April!

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

            All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

            The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

            I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
            I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

            What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

            If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
            My creations
            Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

            For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

            Comments