My quilting WIPs and UFOs in April 2018

(another photo heavy post, but again, I hope you won't mind)



One month has passed since the last progress update on these, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of the projects. With Easter come and gone, I feel as if I've gotten a lot done. Even if the week before that was filled with stomach flu and such.

But, I digress.

It looks like my WIP nr 4 and nr 5 are going to have to be put in the UFO category the next time I update this list...

These are my WIP:s

1. the Blue Roses and Denim quilt


  • Still at the same point: top is done, ironed and waiting to become a quilt sandwich and be quilted.
  • I need backing fabric, batting and a quilting plan for it.

2. the 12 Color blocks quilts


  • Yes, twelve of them. And so far, three have been completed. You can see them here; firstsecond, and third.
  • Progress! All of the tops are DONE! I have backing fabrics for six of them. And I've even made binding bias strips. A lot of it. 24  meters to be exact. It was all I had leftover white fabric fore. 
  • This project needs LOTS of batting and some backing fabrics. And quilting plans for all of these.

3. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars



  • I've made some progress! And I wrote about it in another blog post, too.
  • 11 violet blocks are done. Still need more white background fabric for the orange ones. And more orange 16-patches need to be made. And orange pieces cut for the star points. But I made some more 16-patches from violet and white 5x5 cm squares that were left over, and I even got around to ironing/pressing all the done blocks.
  • Thus, I have to still finish sewing blocks for the top and back.

4. the One Block Wonder, or OBW quilt


  • Still needs to be ironed, and have borders attached. So it's still at the same stage it was since August 2017. It seems this one is in danger of becoming a UFO...
  • So, it still needs borders, time, and a plan on how to finish it.

5. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt



  • No progress on this one either, because I still haven't bought "the right orange" thread. And it still needs 80 more 10x10 cm denim squares.So it is also starting to look like a UFO...

6. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 2



  • I've written about this one here.The center for this one is done. I'm still debating on what type of borders I want to put on it. The pattern is a Missouri Star Quilt Co pattern called "Pecking Order", but I'm changing it up a bit as I go along. I just liked this very simple way to make giant stars.
  • So, borders and it's off to become a quilt sandwich. And I've gotten stuck on how to make the borders.

7. the Fake cathedral windows mini-quilt



  • This was the second denim quilt I started on the jeans makeover course. It's about halfway done, and since I only can complete it on the sewing machine at Arbis that has the pre-programmed flower sewing pattern I need, I can only sew it at Arbis.
  • No real progress on this one, but I ironed it again and I'm debating if I should glue/pin down those flapping parts that needs to be seamed, because they're just all over the place. And I did buy more thread for it.
  • So, this one is an only-work-at-in-Arbis.

8. (new) the secret sewing Cars quilt for my kids


  • I did this one because I just wanted a break from all the projects I -can't- continue on (I need batting, damn it!) , and I wrote about it too.
  • It, also, needs to be quilted.

9. (new) the I-spy-blocks


  • These also were a thing I just wanted to sew because I couldn't make progress on other project. The idea with them were to learn how to make this type of block. It has many names; economy block, square-in-a-square block, diamond block. But what it does is provide you with a nice way to show off fussy cut fabrics.
  • So far, I got 6 blocks, and then I ran out of both the black and the polka-dot-blue fabric. And I'm stuck with what I want to make out of  them, because I ran out of the fabrics.

And these are my UFO:s

Some progress have been made on nr 6 and 7! They will surely be moved to the WIPs in the next update I write.

1. Pecking Order nr 1

  • have cut out the pieces for the star blocks, in the same natural white as the one above

2. Peking Order nr 3

  • have cut out 75 background pieces in black, still need to cut out solids for the star points

3. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

  • all odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.

4. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

  • same type as the one above, but maybe with sashings

5. Wanta Fanta

  • a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on.

6. Rainbow Scraps quilt


7. Circles of color quilt


8. Three free motion quilting projects


  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies. No progress on them either, because I need more grey thread.

And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update in one month :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments