My quilting WIPs and UFOs in August 2018



One month has passed since the last progress update on my projects, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of them.

During August, I think therapy for me started working, because I started feeling better. We also got our kids accepted into daycare. They’re starting on the 3rd of September. There’s a lot of schedules we’re having to start conforming to, to ease the kids into getting used to the daycare’s schedule.

On September  2nd, I attended a sew LAN-party which a larper friend was hosting. I got lots done then. 

Otherwise, I have just tried to make my nearly 2 months of sickleave just that: trying to get better by -not- doing too much. Which have evolved into me doing a lot of sewing by hand, especially on the Rainbow quilt. I’m also contemplating more EPP projects, as well as what I want to focus on during 2019.

Oh, and I enrolled myself into some crafting courses at both Arbis and Vaasa Opisto for the fall. One of them is held during the day, and we’ll see about my attendence there, because I have no real idea how autumn will be for our family. I’m trying to stay positive though. (And yeah, it’s hard)

But on the quilting front, some projects have been moved from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way, and I moved quite a lot of projects from WIP:S to UFO:s for this monthly summary, because they’ve layed untouched for too long.
Lets get started :)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. the One Block Wonder, or OBW quilt


  • Has gotten some more borders! This one will soon become a done quilt top. I’m really pleased with that. But it ain’t over ’til the binding’s on...
2. Rainbow (Scraps) quilt



3. Violet English Teagarden


  • Inspired by an EPP pattern I saw in the book All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland.
  • Consists of an EPP center motif, stitched to a white background. Backing will be a giant hexie pattern, inspired by Jacquie Gering’s tutorial on how to machine piece hexie blocks together. The colors on those hexagons will be complementary colors to the front piece, to help me learn more about color theory.
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The motif for the front is still a bit of a work in progress and needs to be appliqued to the white background, but the backing is already sewn. I confess, I'm feeling a little stuck on this one. Like I’d like to make it bigger, to make it more useful, but that’s just the epic-project-crafter inside of me talking.
4. ”Emma”


  • An HST-quilt planned from donated neutral triangle pieces, in an effort to learn more color theory.
  • The top is done! I sewed it together on the sew-LAN party at my LARPer friend. Above is the photo I took before I started sewing/webbing it together.
5. The Kingfisher quilt


And these are my UFO:s

1. the 12 Color blocks quilts

  • I’m waiting for the Arbis courses to start up again in September, to be able to finish these.

2. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars

  • Poor thing hasn’t been touched at all. I think I need to focus on it again after the OBW is done.

3. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 2

  • Nothing has been done to this one either. I think it and the nr 2 above is in the same category now: September projects.

4. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • Last month I bought two orange Gutermann Mara sewing threads to use for it.
  • And it still needs 80 more of those 10x10 cm denim squares.

5. Pecking Order nr 1

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The background fabric for the star blocks is cut out, but nothing else has been done to it.

6. Peking Order nr 3

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • I have cut out 75 background pieces in black, still need to cut out solids for the star points

7. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

  • I've ironed all of the pieces, but nothing else.
  • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
  • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

8. Wanta Fanta

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamoured with this project anymore.

9. Circles of color quilt

10. Three free motion quilting projects

  • Haven't been touched.
  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies. No progress on them either, because I need more dark grey thread.

11. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3


  • Still at the same stage *sigh*
  • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.



And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments