What I'm working on: the Christmas quilt


I was feeling really flu-crappy three days ago. Taking care of oneself comes kinda second when the kids have the flu too.

*sigh*

Anyway, I was cleaning out stuff from the cutting table, since I had gotten those place-mats and towels done. And I found a small baggie with already fussy cut small Christmas blocks. So, I took the leftover natural white I had used on my Rainbow quilt, and found some matching reds, and made some not-quite-economy blocks.


And no, I had no idea what to do with them.

Next day, I squared them up and placed them on the design wall and tried to figure out what I could do with them.


I quickly realized that unless I wanted a Christmas-themed baby quilt, it needed more blocks.

I pieced together some from the small leftovers I had. (I think I managed okay with this one, the seam runs straight through the center)


So...after having gone through my novelty fabrics for Christmas themed ones in green-white-red, I found one with presents and stockings that I thought would match okay. I also found some polka dot fabric that would make great sashing, and then the small amount of Christmas fabric I had bought in April. Which would make a great border.

I pieced the stocking-fabric into similar type of blocks. Placed them on the design wall, fiddled around with them a bit and came up with a design.



Leftover red parts from the economy blocks became fun prairie points around the center.



And voilà; I got all the makings for a Christmas quilt.

A quilt top that ”just happened”. In three days.




I really like how it turned out, and I have an idea about how it -could- be quilted. But I’m gonna have to wait until the quilting course at Arbis on Tuesday. Hopefully the whole family is free from this stupid flu then.

I pieced the top from just whatever I happened to have in my stash, and it is (once again) really weird how GOOD this make-do-quilt turned out. All the fussy cut fabric was used up, the red solids were just enough, and the pale border was ALL that there was of that fabric too.

It’s a lucky quilt!

Hope your day will feel as lucky too :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments