My quilty resolutions of 2018

When I started blogging again in January (after not having blogged for years before that) I most pointedly didn’t share or write a post about what New Year’s resolutions I had made for 2018.

But maybe I should have.

I did write then down, see, on a small note. And I stuck that note on my notice board in the studio, and there it has been gently reminding me all year long what I promised I’d try to do.



Since I wrote it in Swedish, I’ll just translate it into English for you all:
  1. Get the floor space in the studio cleared.
  2. Keep my quilt planner updated.
  3. Get the notice board cleared.
  4. Sort the buttons.
  5. Sort and get rid of all the old thread.
  6. Finish all the remaining color block quilts.
  7. Finish 12 other quilts during 2018.
So, how did I do? Which of these have I managed to hold during the year?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1. Get the floor space in the studio cleared.
Well, I got rid of a lot of crafting materials (and some things that were just plain junk) that were cluttering up the floor of the studio. My mother helped and bought some plastic storage boxes from Ikea (the Samla ones, if you want to know) and I sorted the donated fabrics I had and stored them in those. I wrote, on marking tape,  what I had in what box. Things like ”Jersey fabric” and ”Denim” and ”Grandmother's old doilies”.

It did clear up a lot, but the floor isn’t empty of stuff. But I still did good, so I consider that one went as well as it could have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Keep my quilt planner updated.
This one has been a must during the year. All the quilts I have been working on has had their own page and has gotten updated as I've been working on one. It's the only way I've been able to write somewhat cohesive blog-posts about each finished project, as well as plan ahead on the quilts I want to make. The photo shows my plans for the sashiko-themed quilt I've planned for 2019.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. Get the notice board cleared.
Hmm... Nope, I don't think that one is gonna happen anytime soon. There's really no stuff on it that I desperately need, but I've pinned stuff to it with sentimental value to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Sort the buttons.
Yes, did that. All the orange-red containers in the photo above have the sorted buttons in them.

The rest of them have pre-cut card stock EPP templates (light blue), jersey buttons and snaps (dark blue), quilting safety needles (one of the yellows) and then some small bonus HST blocks (the blue and green one on the right).

An yes, those are reused containers that previously contained a generic brand of laundry Vanish. They're just covered with fabric.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



5. Sort and get rid of old brittle thread.
Yes, did that one too. I think I went from more that a hundred different thread spools down to only ten or so. Boy did that hurt, but I taught me the valuable lesson of checking donated thread and not buy brittle thread second hand.

There's few sewing things more frustrating, than having to bring your sewing machine in for repairs and service because you haven't used proper thread. Seriously, it only costs 2 euros more or so per 1000 m  spool, but your sewing skills will improve SO much when you're not frustrated with getting thread breaks all the time. And full service costs about 80-100 euros...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6. Finish all the remaining color block quilts.
Emil P's Color block quilt
color block quilt 6 (waiting for baby's name)
color block 7 (waiting for baby's name)

then there's 1 more that I've stay-stitch quilted
(that's the one in the photo above)
and 3 more on hangers waiting to be basted

So, I've come a bit on the way, but I'm not there yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's 15 finished quilts, 1 pillow and 1 hoop quilt. I think I did good on that one, even if "only" 9 are others projects than the color block quilts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Use up scraps from the scrap folder system, so that each folder is only half full

This one could have gone better if I had given myself time to make rainbow crumb blocks or more ticker tape tile blocks out of my scraps, because the neutral, black and white, blue, teal/turquoise and brown folders are still full.

But, I've scoured Pinterest for ideas regarding BIG blocks that you can use scraps for. Just to get something that I can use those neutral and brown scraps for. I'm planning to use some of the neutrals for a Jolly Bar Meringue quilt, so we'll see how that turns out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And those were my resolutions for the year 2018. I have tried to think up new ones for this year, and maybe this time I'll even write them down on the blog too ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments