My quilting WIPs and UFOs in July 2019


The semi-official theme I've kinda chosen for my focus this year is hand-sewing.

Lots of American bloggers seem hard on having these "words of the year", but I think I'm gonna stick to my "crafting themes of the year" instead ;)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

July was a bit hectic, in my very honest opinion. I've been trying to manage all the things that should preferably be done before the school semester starts on September 1st. Like me having to find and move into a temporary apartment. I already have six boxes packed, and if I don't get an already furnished room, I'm taking one of our beds, my office chair, a desk, some lamps. You know, just the basics. Thank goodness I'll still be living at home with my family most of the time, but you can't really commute 400 km every day on a shoestring budget.

I cleaned away most of the quilting things in the living room. The big brown table looked a bit bare for a while, and then I put all the things needed to finish ONE project on it, as a nod to me having to preferably finish up Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars before September starts. I also finished, on July 1st, the quilt going to my son's day care contact person, and I need to finish the one for my daughter's before August 10th.

But, let's review the list instead, it's easier that way.

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

1. Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars (aka the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2)
 and beside it, Bubbles, and then also You, Me and the Sun




  • Progress: two rows have been quilted on Violet and Orange, and the last remaining row (nr 3) finally got itself sewn. I had no photo taken of only this quilt, because they've been hanging out with the impromptu Bubbles quilt on the book case. You, Me and the Sun, which came before, got finished on July 1st. 
  • You can read about You, Me and the Sun here :)
  • Schedule: I have to get Bubbles done, and then I'm going to finish Violet and Orange.
2. Violet Evergarden


  • There's been no real progress since the last update. The quilt got washed and was on display at the spring exhibit at Arbis. One small part is already embroidered, but I want to add more, as you can see in the photo where there's part still missing on the outer triangles.
  • Schedule: it needs more embroidery, a label, finished photos taken, and being blogged about.
4. the 12 Color blocks quilts



  • Progress! Julia's quilt got finished on the 9th! Read about it here. So, out of the original 12 quilts, I have only 2 left. I even made a whole gallery page for the project :)
  • Schedule: Two needs to be quilted and finished, and they already have potential recipients. Just think about it: soon 12 children will have gotten nearly identical quilts and this project will be over and done.
5. the Second Christmas quilt (an EPP hexagon quilt)


  • This one was an EPP project that got started kind of by accident (as in, I got bored and wanted to use up the rest of the Christmas fabric I had lying around since I finished the Christmas quilt "God Jul").
  • Progress: No progress this month.
  • Schedule: It's competing with R(ed) is for Rita and other hand-quilting projects for time, and now I've picked this to be one of the help-me-stay-sane-in-Turku projects.

7. the quilts of the Hand Pieced QAL (quilt along)

 

  • Arranged by Kristin Esser of Simple Handmade Everyday and Patty Dudek of Elm Street Quilts. This QAL ended on the 30.04.2019. My entries are nr 9 and nr 10 in the link-up. The QAL started in January, and ended on April 30th. I have made two (!) very different quilt tops from two separate sets of the blocks; I named them Discovery and Defiant.
  • Progress! Defiant has already been finished some time ago, and you can read about it here. Discovery has gotten part of the outer border hand-quilted, and one circular motif started on the large pink background area. I only need to get some available time to sit and work on it.
  • ScheduleDiscovery is loaded on the hand-quilting frame, and just needs to be hand-quilted. 

8. R is for Rita (a quilt inspired by the "B is for Blue" hexagon quilt)



  • Again, while reading the (then newest) blog post that Rita Hodge (of Red Pepper quilts) had written about her finishing the quilt top for this soon-to-be-quilted quilt, something just clicked in my mind. I had made all of these white glue basted hexagons back in May - June, and not really found anything to do with them. So I thought, why not use them up with this pattern? 
  • Progress: I have finished all the white background blocks, yay!
  • Progress report since the project started is now
    • Corner blocks sewn/needed/prepped: 4/4/4
    • White blocks sewn/needed/prepped: 36/36/36 yay!
    • Dark red blocks sewn/needed/prepped: 7/25/25
    • Light red blocks sewn/needed/prepped: 8/24/24
  • Schedule: Just being on "the hand-sewing queue" together with Discovery and all the others. I have picked this to be one of the help-me-stay-sane-in-Turku projects.
9. my secret Hearts 2019 birthday quilt


  • Progress: no real progress this month, although I did consolidate it so that all the blocks and pieces are together in one little plastic box. I'm also actively contemplating if I should add some soft woven stabilizer on the back of all the blocks with the really loose grain, just to get them to hold up to washing..
  • Schedule: I finally decided on a layout for the quilt top, and it means I have to make more of the red heart blocks.
⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

And these are my NYS:s

(not-yet-started ones)
⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

This month I actually updated all these projects in my project planner, and then move Lucy, Kingfisher II, City and Sashiko to the WIP section. Just because I think they need to be there soon anyway :)

1. The ”Lucy’s Terrace”-quilt (not yet started)
  • a Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
  • Progress! No real progress this month, but I did check through the fabric scraps at Arbis, before the semester ended, to see if I could find any scraps that might fit for some blocks.
  • Schedule: Other projects, in the WIP category, need to be finished before I can start on this one.

2. A spring/summer version of the Kingfisher quilt (not yet started)
  • All of the background diamonds and border fabrics have been cut out. I will need to go through my scraps and find bright and colorful fabrics to make the matching 46 hexie flowers.
  • Schedule: Other projects, in the WIP category, need to be finished before I can start on this one.

3. Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler”-quilt (not yet started)

  • I want to make it in denim. With sashiko details, and maybe also some boro details too. Gnome Angel will be hosting another "100 blocks 100 days"-event in 2019, but is going to be her own block sets, so I can’t take part in that with this. I have to just make it on my own.
  • Progress: I already made up a plan for how I want the quilt top to look. But I'm not so sure I want to have a huge quilt made up with all the blocks (finished) at 6 x 6 inches. I think I'd rather want to do them smaller, so I will have to make some quilt math to make it work.
  • Schedule: Other projects, in the WIP category, need to be finished before I can start on this one.
4. a Japanese sashiko-themed quilt (not yet started)
  • With sashiko, EPP and applique. In parts with designs taken from Susan Briscoe’s books.
  • all of the background diamonds have been cut, and most of the borders already thought out. The applique and EPP pieces and sashiko motifs still need to be chosen out of the books.
  • Progress: no progress this month.
  • Schedule: Other projects, in the WIP category, need to be finished before I can start on this one.
5. some kind of scrap quilt (not yet started)
  • Made from the orange ticker tape tile, and maybe other ticker tape tiles or orphan blocks I’ve already sewn.
  • I found a little more of the same background fabric I've used for the orange ticker tape block, they were in my folder of neutral scraps. 
  • Progress: I actually zigzagged around the ticker tape tiles on a violet one, so now I have two finished blocks (one orange and one violet). There's at least 10 blank background blocks that can be filled with ticker tape tiles and sewn, so there's materials ready for when I want to do some scrap work.
  • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can really start on this one.

6. the Farmer's Wife 1920 quilt (not yet started)

  • for the QAL hosted by GnomeAngel. This event started on August 24th 2018 and will end on October 25th 2019. Meaning, as it looks now, I won't be able to start on this one and get school things done at the same time, so it'll be for next year, and as a personal thing instead of  a QAL thing.
  • Progress! The book I borrowed for it got returned on time, and I have a design plan in place. I will be doing it in EPP, but where the original blocks finish at 6 x 6 inches, I'm making them come out at 9x9 cm instead, with a 3 cm wide sashing around the blocks. And I now have  cut out (finally!) all the card stock template pieces I need. So as soon as I'm able to, probably next year, I can start choosing fabrics for this one.
  • Schedule: I think I will have to leave it until next year.
7. My version of the Jolly Bar Meringue-quilt (not yet started)
  • No progress yet, but has been prepped for during November 2018! Because, while reading the (then newest) blog post that Kristin Esser (of Simple Handmade Everyday) wrote about her making her version of this Fat Quarter Shop pattern, I just got so inspired that I went through my stash and pulled out old thrifted pillow cases, odd whites, old thrifted and gifted sheets, and odd neutral scraps from my neutral scrap folder. While I was doing that, I found a panel with bunnies and some sheets that had embroidered motifs on them. Not sure if those will be added somehow, but I did cut up all the neutrals into 10 x 15 cm pieces (which isn't the 5 x 10 inches that the pattern has, but I didn't have scraps that large, so I just made them as large as I could).
  • Somehow, these neutrals and warm browns remind me of "taupe", a color used frequently in traditional Japanese quilts together with indigo and whites.
  • Progress: no progress this month.
  • Schedule: Other projects need to be finished before I can start on this one.

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

And these are now my UFO:s

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

1. English Teatime (moved from WIP)
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • Schedule: I need to plan out how I want the blocks to be, and then decide upon a layout. I have so much going on, this one will have to wait a bit.

2. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt
  • Hasn't been touched.

3. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 1
  • Hasn't been touched.

4. Pecking Order nr 2
  • Hasn't been touched.

5. Peking Order nr 3
  • Hasn't been touched.

6. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1
  • Is gonna be all the odd 5 x 5 cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
  • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

7. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.

8. Wanta Fanta
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamored with this project anymore.

9. Circles of color quilt
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • inspired by Jessica Skultety's quilt "Bubble trail", but my circles will be sewn via this method to the background instead of raw edge applique.

10. Three free motion quilting projects
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • these involve fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies.


⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

And that, as they say, was that. Another update is coming in one month :)

Until then - have a lovely August and enjoy the end of summer (if you live on the northern hemisphere)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.


All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you?

I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream

For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments