What I’m working on: five projects for 2019

I wrote a while back a little about my quilt project plans for the year 2019.

In that post, I mentioned two things I had thought about for next year; learning more handsewing and more EPP. For those, I had thought just two projects to focus on for 2019 would be nice:
  • the Lucy Boston ”Patchwork of the Crosses” variant called ”Lucy’s Terrace” by Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
  • A denim quilt with a sashiko theme.
Well, best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. 

Kristen Esser on her podcast ”Simple. Handmade. Everyday” mentioned in ep 15 (link) (which I listened to yesterday) that she and some others are planning a quilt-along for next year (starting in January) and the theme will be ”quilting by hand”.

I want to take part in that.

And then, while I was browsing around Pinterest, Instagram and Google for ideas about what type of denim quilt I could make... I stumbled upon Deanna Lynn Cole’s Instagram feed, where she had just about completed all the ”100 blocks in 100 days of 2018” challenge/stitch-along. She had made all 100 blocks in Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler” quilt book in denim. And added sashiko stitching to them.

*mind blown*

*want to do the same*

But, my brain apparently works a bit oddly now (what with therapy and it being on meds, the poor thing) so it urged me to cut up/cut out fabric pieces for two quilts in preparation for 2019.

(First is the new Kingfisher quilt, second is the Japanese quilt)



And then start to just fabric doodle and make an orange scrap block in the same genre (ticker tape tiles) as those in my Rainbow Scraps quilt.



And this was while cutting up scraps from the Christmas quilt and making some EPP blocks out of those.


~~~~~~o~~~~~~~

So, what exactly do I now have planned for 2019?

  • Another Kingfisher quilt. Yes, with background diamond blocks made out of the leftover fabrics from making the backing for the One Block Wonder quilt. And borders etc already cut from stash fabrics. Only thing left that’s needed is me to make 46 hexie-flowers and 32 EPP-triangles. And the theme for this one will be ”Spring”. Since the one finished is an ”Autumn”.
  • Tula Pink’s ”City Sampler”-quilt made in denim. With sashiko.
  • A Japanese themed quilt. A hybrid of the diamond-block background I learned from making the Kingfisher quilt, and then adding  appliqué + sashiko stitches + EPP pieces. I drew out a plan for it already, and cut out the fabric too.
  • The ”Lucy’s Terrace”-quilt mentioned above. I need to buy the pattern, and I’ve already cut out ~250 of the ~600 honeycomb EPP templates I will need for it. I still haven’t planned what color palette I’d like to make it out of. But, it will be mostly made out of stash and scrap fabric, even if I will have to buy some more white/neutral fabric for the ”sashing pieces”.
  • Some kind of scrap quilt made from the orange ticker tape tile I’ve already sewn.
I think that is quite enough planning, thank you brain - you can take a break now! (Pretty please, because the cutting table is truly a mess with all these projects now!)

Have a nice day now everyone! :)

Comments