My quilting WIPs and UFOs in September 2018



One month has passed since the last progress update on my projects, so I thought I'd write an update on how far I've gotten on all of them.

During September, lots of things happened. The kids started daycare on the 3rd. It took them one week to get their first flu. Two days later, they were back at daycare, and five days later they got yet another flu. All of these days, I was at home with them. Despite feeling like crap because of the anti-depression medication I had started on that same 3rd of September.

Before that, on September 2nd, I attended a sew LAN-party which a larper friend was hosting. I got lots done then, especially on ”The One for Emma” and ”Scrappy Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars”.

Otherwise, I have just tried to make my nearly 2 months of sick-leave just that: trying to get better by -not- doing too much. Which evolved into me doing a lot of sewing by hand, on ”the Rainbow quilt” and ”the Kingfisher quilt”. When I only had the hand-quilting on the border left on the first, I switched focus towards the second. When the kids were at home during the flu days, I also got so fed up with being sick that I started and finished a Christmas quilt top.

I’ve also been contemplating future EPP projects, as well as what I want to focus on during 2019.

So, on the quilting front, some projects have been moved from WIP to finished, from UFO to WIP, and vice versa. The lists are fluid that way. The fact that I moved quite a lot of projects from WIP:s to finished for this monthly summary sure feels great!
Lets get started :)

⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟⧟

These are my WIPs

1. the One Block Wonder, or OBW quilt


  • I’ve made progress! The quilt top now has two yellow borders, and I had to try and correct a lot of the wavy-ness that it had going on because of the bias cuts. I put the beginning of a third border on, because there was still some of that yellow fabric left, but now I’m a indecisive because that will need more white fabric to be complete. Which I'm out of. I put the quilt top up on hangers to sort of get a feel for it, and also to take the photo above, and it already is really large.
  • I'm already contemplating how I'm going to quilt it.
2. Rainbow (Scraps) quilt



4. ”The One for Emma”
  • A modern HST-quilt based on donated neutral triangle pieces from Arbis, solids in violets and orange, and a geometric pattern fabric by Alison Glass, in an effort to learn more about color theory.
  • I’ve finished this one! I pieced the center together on the sew-LAN party at my LARPer friend, and I put borders on it and quilted it on the Friday that the sew-LAN course at Arbis started. You can read more about the quilt here (I'll add a link here when it's written).
5. The Kingfisher quilt


  • The quilt of the Kingfisher Stitch-Along event, hosted by Rachel Houser of Stitched in Color and Jodi Godfrey of Tales of Cloth.
  • #kingfisherstitchalong
  • Consists of both EPP and machine pieced blocks
  • The quilt top is done, basted and I’ve outline quilted it! The center got pieced, I added the borders and stitched down all the EPP-triangles that go on border 2. The hexie flowers have been hand-sewn to the background diamonds, and all that remains is to quilt it. You can read more about the quilt here (I'll add a link here when it's done).
6. the Christmas quilt (new project!)

  • During the flu, I made my first ever  Christmas quilt top. I wrote about it all here. At Arbis, I found a nice backing fabric for it, and I basted it during the Thursday course.
  • I’ve outline quilted it, but it needs some more quilting to accentuate the economy blocks. And I also need to buy some red thread, because I think red loop-de-loops with small hearts will look nice on the border.

7. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 2, aka Violet and Orange Sawtooth Stars


  • I’ve made some progress! During the event om the 2nd, I managed to sew 8 blocks together. And when the quilting course at Arbis started, I found three violet and three orange fabrics that I could cut four 8x8cm squares out of. I need to start thinking about how to quilt this one together, and how I want to do the sashings. But it feels great to have all the orange star blocks (36) and nearly all the violet ones (30) that I need.

And these are my UFO:s

1. Violet English Tea-garden


  • Inspired by an EPP pattern I saw in the book All Points Patchwork by Diane Gilleland.
  • Consists of an EPP center motif, stitched to a white background. Backing will be a giant hexie pattern, inspired by Jacquie Gering’s tutorial on how to machine piece hexie blocks together. The colors on those hexagons will be complementary colors to the front piece, to help me learn more about color theory.
  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The motif for the front is still a bit of a work in progress and needs to be appliqued to the white background, but the backing is already sewn. I confess, I'm feeling a little stuck on this one. Like I’d like to make it bigger, to make it more useful, but that’s just the epic-project-crafter inside of me talking.

2. the 12 Color blocks quilts

  • I was waiting for the Arbis courses to start up again in September, to be able to finish these. Alas, I spent more time on my Kingfisher and other quilts than these.

4. the Pecking Order quilt, nr 2

  • Nothing has been done to this one either. I think it and the nr 2 above is in the same category now: October projects.

5. the Jeans 10/10 cm quilt

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • Last month I bought two orange Gutermann Mara sewing threads to use for it. But it still needs 80 more of those 10x10 cm denim squares.

6. Pecking Order nr 1

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • The background fabric for the star blocks is cut out, but nothing else has been done to it.

7. Peking Order nr 3

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • I have cut out 75 background pieces in black, still need to cut out solids for the star points

8. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 1

  • Is gonna be all the odd 5x5cm pieces left over from the color block quilts, sewn together into 16-patches. So far, I have just a few done.
  • Maybe it could be made into an Irish chain-block variant? Or the centers of Sawtooth Stars-blocks?

9. Wanta Fanta

  • Hasn't been touched.
  • This one is a paper piecing pattern I wanted to try my sewing skills on. I have a few blocks done. At this point, I’m not terribly enamoured with this project anymore.

10. Circles of color quilt

11. Three free motion quilting projects

  • Haven't been touched.
  • This involves fleece blankets and my maternal grandmother's doilies. No progress on them either, because I need more dark grey thread.

12. the Odd blocks color quilt nr 3

  • Still at the same stage *sigh*
  • The quilt top is done, and I have a backing fabric waiting for it. It needs to be basted, so I’m still stuck on this one. Also, it needs a quilting plan and binding.



And that should be it for all my current ongoing quilting projects and in-the-closet-languishing-ones. I hope to write another update again in one month.

Until then, hope you all have some happy quilting fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments