What I'm working on: the One Block Wonder quilt

Lots of progress has been made on my One Block Wonder (OBW for short). It took me all of one Thursday to get the outer borders figured out, pieced together and stitched on the already stitched three borders.

This is how it looked when I had stitched on part of the new outer border - it's the half-rectangle (HRT) and half-square triangle (HST) border added to the upper and lower side on the quilt top.


I pieced together the rest of that border from the remaining HST:s I had. I just divided them equally on the sides and added white the rest of the way.


After a lot of ironing, it looked like this:


Yes.

Those are some really friendly borders. (Because they wave at you...)


Despite all the waves and unevenness, I decided (after having drunk a cup of tea and taken some photos and planned the backing) that I would leave them as is. I had - in my own opinion - already spent way enough time on this project than I wanted. Therefore, I just wanted it to finished.

Thus, I left it like this. It looked so pretty and cheery in the autumn sunlight.


I remembered that I - a year ago back in August of 2017 when I finished the center of the quilt top - had originally planned to make an all white backing for it.

But the fabric here under (the one that has a white background and lots of small to medium sized flowers and leaves on it) was one I had gotten as a donation. And when I saw it in my stash, it just clicked in my head.

Why not make it a more cheerful "spring"-themed quilt. The sunny yellow and the flowers and green leaves really reminded me of the best there is when spring comes around.

So, after lots of measuring and piecing together (because this is one big quilt top!) I had a large enough quilt back. I needed to add some white to get it long enough. I also hand-sew, pieced and machine appliqued the two remaining hexagons and the rest of the yellow fabric on the back as well. The yellow square shows the motif that the yellow fabric had as repeats.


Here it is, large enough.


Then, I started spray basting the quilt sandwich together. I had just-frikkin-enough spray glue left in that one can.


Voilá: all basted.


And then, I rolled it on a cardboard fabric roll and wrapped it in plastic. All ready to be transported. I took it with me when I left for that evening's quilting/sewing course at Arbis.


At Arbis, I outline quilted as much of it as I could. Sadly, there was some shifting that occurred with the backing fabric (because I hadn't enough spray glue to get it to adhere perfectly :( ) so I had to spend some time also ripping away my quilting.

~~~o~~~o~~~~


The next day, I made some binding out of the remaining fabric. I made 5 cm wide strips that I sew together, and then finished the outline quilting so I could put the binding on.


It looked really good, in my opinion. It added a small splash of interesting colors to the otherwise only yellow and white top.



~~~o~~~o~~~~

Then, next Tuesday, I started free motion quilting it at the quilting course at Arbis.

It managed to do a "wishbone"-motif on one border, and then continued with a more "loopy" motif on another. The first took 2 full bobbins of white thread (I used Gutermann Mara in color 111), and the second ate 3 full bobbins. And that quilting was all I had time for that day.

In the photo, I had just finished the wishbone-motif on the first border.


So this is how far the project is now. Hopefully I will manage to figure out how I want the rest quilted before long, and get it finished up.

With that in mind, I'm wishing you all a happy day and happy quilting! :)

Comments