Finished quilt: the One for Emma

Quilt details

Name, Recipient, Size, Start/Finished date, Pattern and Fabrics used

  • The One for Emma
  • for Emma Collander, for her birthday 2018.
  • 140 x 152 cm (length x height).
  • 22.7 - 1.10.2018.
  • variant of a modern HST quilt
  • About the fabrics used for the quilt top
    • Solids in 6 colors of violet and orange from my stash.
    • "Remix Geometry in Sunset" by Alison Glass for Andover Fabrics".
    • Donated triangles in a neutral white color from Arbis' stash.
    • Leftover piece of violet used for making a skinny border 1.
    • Largest piece of orange fabric I had used for making border 2.
    • Binding was made out of parts from a violet shirt bought second hand.

Batting, backing and binding fabric:

  • Single layer of thinnest (40 g) polyester batting from Kruunun Kangas.
  • The quilt back is a donated bed linen fabric from my mom. 
  • Binding was made out of 5 cm wide violet fabric strips.

Quilting pattern:

  • Center quilted by doing fillers on the neutral fabric on the HST, as well as on some of the Alison Glass fabrics.
  • Border 1 got a "twisting rope" simplified variant.
  • Border 2 got a loop-de-loop mixed with the name "Emma", the words "kram" and "hej!" and "oops", two spools, some hearts, kites, one spruce, some berries, a few butterflies and one dragonfly, some different flowers and just plain  loops. True free motion quilt doodles ;) 

Top thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white).
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 351 (orange).

Bobbin thread:

  • For piecing the top: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white)
  • For free motion quilting: Gutermann Mara 120, 100% polyester, 1000m, color 800 (white).
  • All in all, it took nearly 3 full bobbins to free motion quilt the quilt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I read a lot on quilt block designs. And I pin a lot of block ideas on my Pinterest boards, basically just to keep track of ideas for quilts and block patterns I’d like to try out one day.

One of them is of this half-square triangles quilt (HST quilt) called "Seeing Red" by Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew. Since half square triangles are on of the most basic quilt blocks, I thought making this quilt would be a fast thing once all the parts had been cut up.

In a way, it was. I just had to decide on what kind of HST-quilt I wanted to make.

In the end, it came down to color theory. As in, I want to learn more color theory, and lots of HST-quilts have a modern quilt aesthetics to them, so I thought the theme for it could be "modern HST".

While I was planning this. in my head, I was also working on my Scrappy Sawtooth Stars. In that quilt, I was using violets and oranges for the blocks, so part of me thought I could cut up the same solids to use in this quilt too. 

So I did, and they came together into these:




That photo was taken on the 2nd of September, before I started webbing the quilt center together. The Alison Glass print (called Geometry Sunset) was a thing I added for interest, because it had lots of matching colors in it.

Eventually, on the 27th of September, I finally got around to adding borders. First, I put on a skinny light violet one to frame the center, and then a large solid orange one. I was so looking forward to doodle quilt on that large orange space!






I spray basted the quilt that same day, and took it to Arbis the same evening when I was attending one of the sewing courses.

I started quilting it on the next day, when the sew-LAN event started at at 6 o'clock in the evening.



It took me 2,5 hours to quilt it. And I did take some pause to stretch my back and relax my shoulders, so perhaps 2 hours in total spent quilting.



Yeah, I checked the time and even took a photo of the clock just for reference...



On the 1st of October, I put the binding and quilt label on, and then it went in the wash.





These are some detail photos I took of the quilting. I'm sorry for the blurry photos - the orange somehow made it really hard to take good detail photos of some of the quilting!











Here's a spool:



Here's a berry:



And here's a butterfly:



A kite:



Yet another butterfly:



Here it says "kram", which means "hug" in Swedish:



And here it says "Hej!":



"Emma":



Yet another "Emma":



Another butterfly:



The spruce:



And one more "kram":




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that was how this quilt came to be. Now, it's in the mail to Emma, who will get it as a birthday present.

I know she will like it - it's totally her colors!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE ask permission BEFORE you PUBLICLY copy anything from my blog.

All images, all my text, and content that I specifically haven't referenced as belonging to someone else on this site are my property and they cannot be used, copied or transmitted without my consent.

The exception here is Pinterest, because I give you permission to pin my photos there IF YOU CITE THEM AS COMING FROM THIS BLOG AND THUS FROM ME.

I understand that Pinterest is useful for saving tutorials and photos for quilting inspiration, because I use it that way myself, and I'm okay with you doing that too - but PLEASE: "cite when you write". Give the creator some credit, will you? 
I have nothing against you trying to make something similar, or even selling it, but I'd like to get some credit for being your inspiration. Why? Well, because lots of crafts are passed down from person to person, and it feels nice to be able to say "yes, I taught you how to make that".

What I DON*T LIKE is you flat out stealing my photos and my written text. 

If you want, check out my own shared Pinterest board: 
My creations
Or my Flickr photos: My photostream
For questions or further permissions, please email me at linnea.gronstrand [at]gmail[dot]com

Comments