My quilt planner

People organize themselves in lots of ways. I, for example, used to be a real Post-it and daily-calender-using girl.

Now, as both a mom and a phone-user, I use my phone/various apps to help me with lots of planning/reminding stuff. But last year I just realized that it's both nice and smart to document your quilts, as well as UFO:s and WIP:s. I'll admit I got the idea from Quilt Planner, but I needed something more budget friendly and not really bound to a calendar form.

I found Taryn Villarreal's project planner on her page Pixels to Patchwork, and I've been printing out more pages as I need them. She has both individual project pages and a overview page to print out. I store these in a blue binder, and when/if I need a bigger one I'll just buy a bigger one.

My own quilt planner.
I store project into three categories: "Completed", "UFO:s" and "WIP:s". So far, the biggest category is the UFO:S, and that's because I've put quilt patterns I've printed out there. Some of them I might never actually sew, but I like to have the patterns there, just in case I suddenly need a fun/challenging pattern.

Now, the next photo has nothing to do with the quilt planner, but it has something to do with the project page featured on that photo.

My poor office chair
Little boy actually managed to pee (yes, pee...) on my office chair while he and his sister were still down with the stomach flu. It was a case of leaking diaper. A true parent failure there... Modern diapers are more than great, but not if they are placed slightly askew.

Oh well. But it led me to finally get around to put new cover fabric on it. The model of the chair is also an IKEA, called "Joakim". It's not sold at IKEA anymore, and I like it so much I don't want to throw it out if I just can fix it.

Tadaa! New fabric!
And it's the fabric I wanted to comment about.

How do I plan quilts? Well, so far, I've never had a problem just coming up with ideas. In the case of my poor office chair, I just thought I would need to use up the fabric I used to cover it with, because I don't use upholstery fabric all that much. And it's not great to save as small scraps either.

So, the plan is to see if I can put some interfacing on the rest and use it, together with 15x15 cm denim squares I already have cut out, to create yet another Leaders&Enders denim quilt. So far, I've made (an orange, a red, one with plain denim and a green) 4 of them. They're great subjects to use for free motion quilting learning, even if they're rather heavy to wrangle through your domestic machine.

This one, with the pale blue and the white roses on the upholstery fabric, I think will look really nice once finished.

Comments