Candle with hearts

For the Mama-haaste nr 3, I came up with the idea of making a heart-themed candle. The things I used I listed previously.

Now, I've never done any sort of candles before, but I've saved a lot of 'stumps' from old candles. Why? Well... because some craft techniques use paraffin, and because I'm a slight craft hoarder. Ask anyone, they'll tell you the same. (Oh! Here's another one, too.)

Anyway, I started with melting the old stumps to get rid of the impurities and the wicks. This was done with a water bath (big glass jar in a pot with hot/boiling water). Since some of the candles were red left-over ones from our Valentine's Day dinner last Monday, the result was... pink :)

Next, I made I wick out of cotton thread, put it in the cleaned jar, and poured in the liquid candle-soup. I let it set (good thing it was cold outside!), and then painted the lid white. For decoration, I used red window-paint and drew hearts and lines on both the lid and the jar.

I think the result was pretty cute :) And, the allegory of how both love and friendship makes your heart warmer is all present in this one, too!


Little candle jar.

Comments

  1. Thank you for participating for the challenge! It is a joy to have some other craft styles participating, as well. This is the first candle ever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment